Thursday, 19 December 2013, 10:12 am
Press Release: New Zealand Government
Hon Murray McCully
Minister of Foreign Affairs
Hon Dr Jonathan Coleman
Minister of Defence
19 December 2013
NZ to maintain support as Afghanistan mission transitions
New Zealand will maintain its current level of support for international efforts in Afghanistan until December 2014, the Government says.
Twenty seven New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) personnel are currently deployed in behind-the-wire roles based in Kabul, including at the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) headquarters, ISAF Special Operations Forces headquarters, and Afghan National Army Officer Academy (ANAOA).
“The Government has reviewed the mandate for these deployments, which is due to expire next April. Our 27 personnel will remain in Afghanistan to December 2014 to support the final stages of the ISAF mission,” Defence Minister Jonathan Coleman says.
The ISAF mission will be replaced by a training, advice and assistance mission.
“As previously announced, a small number of personnel are expected to remain at the UK-led Afghan National Army Officer Academy (ANAOA) in roles focused on training assistance and capacity building beyond 2014,” Dr Coleman says.
Foreign Affairs Minister Murray McCully says New Zealand’s work in Afghanistan is business as usual.
“New Zealand remains committed to fulfilling our role as part of the ISAF mission to secure the gains made in Afghanistan over the last decade.
“New Zealand will continue to make financial and development contributions to Afghanistan. The nature of those contributions has not been finalised.”