By David Glovin – Apr 18, 2013 7:08 AM GMT+1200.
Five days of hearings scheduled for next week in the case of the accused plotters of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks were postponed after defense lawyers said internal documents went missing on government computers.
The judge, Army Colonel James Pohl, postponed the hearings until mid-June in a two-page order posted today.
Lawyers for the accused plotters requested the delay last week after complaining that their confidential work was inexplicably missing from the U.S. Defense Department computers on which they store documents.
Army Lt. Colonel Todd Breasseale, a Pentagon spokesman, said in a statement that the Office of Military Commissions, which is prosecuting the case, “suffered from a nearly catastrophic server ‘crash’” that led to “losses of indiscriminate data.” Of almost 400 gigabytes of data initially lost, “seven gigabytes have yet to be accounted for,” he said.
Hearings in the case, which began last year, have been plagued by delay. In August, the threat of a hurricane canceled a week of arguments while hearings this year were slowed as the judge probed defense claims that the government was eavesdropping on them.
Read full article here