Thank you to Greg and Stephanie who carried an informative and attention grabbing banner to the peace march today which attracted a lot of attention from passers by in Cuba Mall.
Keith Locke: NZ’s response to Soleimani assassination is shamefully timid
Opinion – How can New Zealand claim to have an independent foreign policy when it won’t even criticise America’s assassination of Qasem Soleimani, a top Iranian leader? The furthest foreign minister Winston
Peters went was to express “strong concern” at the “heightening tensions in Iraq and the region”.
Peters’ statement could also be read as a justification for the drone killing when he acknowledged “strong US concerns about Iran” and said “the US took action on the basis of information they had”.
In fact, the assassination took place against a background of falsehoods, reminding us of the lies previously peddled to justify the 2003 US invasion of Iraq. President Donald Trump even blamed Soleimani for “terror plots as far away as New Delhi and London” while Vice President Mike Pence fancifully claimed Soleimani “assisted in the clandestine travel” of those involved in the 11 September, 2001 attack on the World Trade Center.
All we have from the United States are vague assertions that Soleimani was planning imminent attacks on US interests. More credible is the assertion of the Iraqi prime minister Adil Abdul-Mahdi that Soleimani was in Bagdad at the invitation of the Iraqi government – for negotiations. His visit was apparently not a secret and he was at Baghdad airport in the presence of Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, a pro-government Iraqi militia leader, who was also assassinated.
Considering New Zealand has soldiers in Iraq, you would think Peters might have shown some interest in what his counterparts in the Iraqi Foreign Ministry thought about the assassination. They said it was “a flagrant breach of Iraq’s sovereignty and of all international laws and norms that regulate relations between countries and prohibit the use of their lands to carry out attacks on neighbouring countries”.
The Iraqi Parliament followed this up with a resolution calling for an end to “the presence of any foreign troops on Iraqi soil”, a resolution targeted particularly at the US military presence.
If he respects Iraqi sovereignty, our foreign minister should set in motion the quick withdrawal of New Zealand soldiers from Iraq. Or will he be supporting Donald Trump, who says that if US troops are forced out he’ll slap sanctions on Iraq, which will “make the Iranian sanctions somewhat tame”?
Add to that Trump’s repeated threat to destroy Iranian cultural sites, which is a clear war crime. How can New Zealand withhold criticism of such madness?
Read full article here
By Prince Kapone
Global Research, January 05, 2020
In 2000, the Project for a New American Century published a report entitled “Rebuilding America’s Defenses: Strategy, Forces and Resources For a New Century,” which was extended and adopted as official national security policy in 2005. Drawing on the themes of the first Bush administration and Brzezinski, the report recommends that U.S. military forces become “strong enough to dissuade potential adversaries from pursuing a military build-up in hopes of surpassing, or equaling, the power of the United States.” As noted above, there was nothing new in this goal of American hegemony per se, but what was new was the emphasis placed on “transforming” the political landscape of the Middle East. Due to the rise of Islamic terrorism and the stubborn existence of “rogue states,” the “stability” of the Middle East, North Africa, and their oil reserves were deemed to be essential objectives of U.S. national security and foreign policy.
Using the 9/11 terrorist attacks as a pretext for this grand imperial project, the Bush administration outlined a list of seven “rogue states” targeted for regime change in order to secure de facto U.S. control over global oil supplies. Those seven countries were Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Iran. Of course, Iraq was invaded, occupied and democratized by the U.S. in 2003. The threat of Hezbollah in Lebanon has been satisfactorily neutralized as a result of Israel’s 2006 invasion, the Jamahariya government of Libya was utterly destroyed by NATO and Al Qaeda in 2011, the Assad regime of Syria is on the verge of collapse today as it is under attack from NATO and its Islamic mercenary forces, while there are ongoing covert military operations being conducted against Somalia and the Sudan. Only Iran remains intact as a nation-state out of the seven countries targeted by the U.S. for regime change.
Read full article here
One year ago today, 16 firefighters and six civilians were killed in the tragic destruction of Iran’s iconic Plasco Building. We honor their memory by calling for a truly independent investigation into this incident, which has received little attention outside of Iran.
Today, one month and one day after the Plasco Building incident in Tehran, AE911truth are releasing a preliminary assessment of what caused the demise of this iconic 15-story high-rise, which tragically claimed the lives of 16 firefighters and 10 civilians.
On January 19th, 2019, the iconic 15-story Plasco Building in Tehran caught fire at around 8:00am local time. After fighting the fires for a little over three hours, the Tehran fire department believed that it had extinguished the fires. Then, at around 11:20 AM, a series of explosions reportedly occurred inside the building. Within a few minutes of the first reported explosion, the building suffered a total collapse over a period of about 15 seconds.
[edit in:new view]
Russia says it is “surprised” by a US court ruling against Iran over the September 11, 2001 attacks in the United States.
“I am lawfully surprised: what did the Americans do in Afghanistan for 15 years, if Iran is to blame for everything?” Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said at a briefing on Thursday.
Read article here
by Peter Drew
The true events of 9/11 have been systematically withheld from the public and greatly distorted by the mainstream media. At the heart of this distortion and cover-up has been the BBC.
The BBC has systematically supported the cover-up of a huge amount of incontrovertable scientific and forensic evidence and eye-witness evidence which strongly contradicts the official version of events of 9/11. The result of this cover-up has been the support for the wars launched on Iraq and Afghanistan in the name of 9/11, resulting in more than one million deaths of innocent civilians so far, as well as the ongoing supposed global war on terror at the cost of trillions of dollars to tax payers.
This two part documentary by Press TV exposes the BBC for exactly what role it has played in this process, which is political propaganda, funded by the British public, to support the official version of events of 9/11 and the subsequent global war on terror.
Produced by Ken O’keefe, a former US Marine in Iraq who quit the US military when he realised the truth about what was really happening, and who then led the human shield in Iraq in 2003.
Part 1 – BBC: UK public funding propaganda
Part 2 – BBC covering truth on 9/11
– See more at: http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-bbcs-cover-up-of-the-truth-on-911/5453498#sthash.Stfoy17H.dpuf
Geopolitics of the war against Syria and against the Daesh
by Thierry Meyssan
Voltaire Network | Damascus (Syria) | 26 October 2014
In this new and original analysis, Thierry Meyssan exposes the geopolitical reasons for the failure of the war against Syria and the real objectives of the so-called war against Daesh. This is particularly important for understanding current international relations and the crystallization of conflict in the Levant (Iraq, Syria and Lebanon).
Read article here